We don’t brine a turkey, roast or deep fry one either for Thanksgiving. We don’t do turkey on turkey day. We’re a roasted chicken family, due to multiple family members being allergic to turkey. Which is okay with me, I was never a big fan of turkey anyway (gasp!). I’ve always been in it for the side dishes and the dessert. And the football!!! Okay okay, and time with family between forkfuls of food and shouts to the football refs.
Our Thanksgiving table includes the green bean casserole my sister perfectly makes even though she doesn’t eat green beans, my Mom’s amazing moist and a little crusty homemade stuffing, mashed potatoes with extra butter, sweet potato casserole (which is not something I eat as it’s way to sweet for me), another vegetable dish usually honeyed carrots, homemade cranberry sauce, rolls for those that don’t eat gluten free, and at least 3 kinds of pie. Usually apple, pumpkin, and berry! Every once in awhile I want to mix it up a bit and add something new at the last minute. The side dish recipe round-up below is for those close to last minute additions or maybe a substitute for the too sweet to eat sweet potato casserole. These recipes also work year-round for non holiday dinners too!
What’s your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?
Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipe Round-Up
- Apple Cranberry Sweet Potato Bake from Stupid Easy Paleo
- Balsamic Bacon Brussels Sprouts Guest post by Lisa Bryan for The Paleo Mom
- Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Soup from Nourish to Fuel
- Crispy Sweet Potato Roast from Smitten Kitchen
- Egg and Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie from Brittany Angell
- Grain Free Thanksgiving Stuffing from Against All Grain
- Honey Mustard and Rosemary Glazed Carrots from The Healthy Foodie
- Kickin’ Cranberry Sauce from The Clothes Make the Girl
- Paleo Cran-Cherry Sauce from Nom Nom Paleo
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Maple Sage Brown Butter from Against All Grain
- Squash Pie from Elana’s Pantry
- Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits from The Paleo Parents
- Thanksgiving Brussels Sprouts and Mushroom Gratin from PaleOMG
- Umami Gravy from Nom Nom Paleo
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole from Eat the Love
About those leftovers…
- 35 Ways to Use Leftover Cranberry Sauce
- Leftover Roast Chicken (or Turkey) Soup with Roasted Vegetables
- Thanksgiving Leftover Ideas